Quick Steps to Become a Big
Our qualified staff will walk you through these quick and easy steps:
- Inquire Online. Inquire today to speak with a Customer Relations Specialist and begin the enrollment process. Inquire now »
- Apply. Ready to take the next step right now? Complete the online inquiry and submit a volunteer application.
- Interview. An Enrollment & Match Specialist will interview you in person. The interview also includes a short orientation about the agency and its programs.
- A background check and National Child Protective Services Check will be done to ensure child safety.
- Drive Check. If you’re participating in our Community-Based program, we will also conduct a check on your driving record, to ensure your Little will be safe with you behind the wheel.
- References. You’ll need to provide three references of people who can attest to your ability to be a mentor.
- Matching. We will review the kids in your area who need a Big Brother or Big Sister and find the best fit for you. Depending on your gender and the kind of child you’d like to work with, matching may go very quickly or take some time. Making the right match is important to our commitment to form lasting relationships.
We’ll Support Your Friendship
When you’re part of something BIG, you’re not alone. We support our matches for their duration by providing orientation and ongoing trainings, professional match support, and monthly activities. We will also regularly check in with you, your Little and your Little’s parent or guardian to make sure the match is going smoothly and answer any questions that might come up.
Each month, we will send you updates about agency-sponsored activities and other free and low-cost ideas for outings like hiking, going to local festivals, or kicking around a soccer ball. You’ll also have access to free tickets to theater, sporting events, and other exciting activities such as snowboarding, jazz concerts, and river rafting adventures.